Monday, February 4, 2008

Micah's getting ready to go mobile... are we ready?

It won't be long before our youngest is getting around on his own. Our house has been pretty well "kid proofed" for the other two, but the other two are the ones who leave all the small chokable toys laying around. They're also the ones who leave the door to the basement open sometimes. So, I'm wondering to myself, "Does Micah have less chance of injury as the third child or more?"

Poor Gavin used to be the "guinie pig kid" for his ignorant first time parents. I didn't know you shouldn't leave the room when your baby's laying on the couch. I didn't know it was important to strap the baby into his highchair everytime. I didn't know that my kids would actually attempt to climb the double-gated bedroom door and be willing to injure themselves for the sake of making a great escape. :) Alright, Sara probably knew of all these things since most of them happened when she was gone, but I don't want to take all the blame for my kids' childhood injuries! :)

The point is, I think Sara and I have learned a lot over the years, but the challenges and obstacles of raising kids never stay the same. It changes as each kid enters into a new phase, and then you have to factor in the different personalities of each kid as well. Just when you think you've got it figured out, the next kid in line might react in a completely different way compared to the older siblings.

Parenting has got to be greatest, yet most challenging, thing we can attempt to do in this life... especially when you're striving to do it well. I can't even imagine what our kids' teenage years will be like, but I'm hoping we can figure out how to get a full night's rest by then :).

No comments: